Wednesday, February 8, 2012

World's Easiest Southwest-stye Slow Cooker "Stew"

I forget where I originally saw this one; perhaps Lean & Forget-It? In any case, it's delicious, and embarrassingly easy to make, freezes well, and can be adapted in a variety of ways. The basics:

  • About 1-1.5 lb chicken breast (I leave them whole, or cut in half)
  • Two cans beans (I often mix types, like black and pinto, and often use pre-spiced cans)
  • Two cans corn (I like a really sweet corn)
  • Two jars salsa (Have fun with this--once I tried a really hot habanero along with a sweet raspberry salsa; it was surprisingly good)
Dump it into a slow cooker. I usually just go overnight on low.

I pull the chicken out and shred it with two forks. You may also chop the chicken up into small chunks if you're not in to the shredded thing.

It's a pretty moist dish. To reduce, you can drain the beans and use less salsa. I usually put some shredded cheese in/on it.

Healthy, fast, relatively cheap, and tasty.

No comments: